Blind wanderings

In elementary school I once read a book about a young boy who became blind in an accident involving fireworks. I was fascinated with the story of how he learned to cope with his eyesight loss, learned to read braille, and was finally teamed with a seeing eye dog.

After a long day in school, as I frequently walked alone the four blocks home, I would close my eyes - attempting to understand what it would be like to be blind. I had no cane of course, so would try to have one foot brush the grass lawn along the sidewalk as I walked. With closed eyes it seemed to take so much longer than I thought possible to walk from one yard to the next. Frequently I would end up "cheating" by opening an eye slightly to regain my orientation - and view how much further it was to the next driveway or street corner.

Life was so much simpler as a child than it is as an adult. Now as I walk along life’s path, I am regularly unable to see the way before me - and there is no easy option available to crack open an eye to gain a point of reference. My eyes are already wide open, but unable to see much through the darkness. Sometimes a counselor or friend will walk by my side for a few precious steps, helping to direct with a guiding word here or there - briefly illuminating part of the path with their inner light.

Most of the time I seem to be alone, floundering along stubbing toes and cracking shins on unseen obstacles. In faith I know that I am never truly alone on this path. Even more so than mortal friends - my Savior is always there to guide and help me, with His hand always outstretched.  I can look back on the path trodden, and clearly see places where the outcome would have been very different if not for His guidance through the roughest parts.

It is one thing to look back, to see and know in your mind - and quite another to have the ability to feel in the present. The most depressing part of clinical depression is the tremendous difficulty, or inability, to feel or recognize guidance and blessings of the Spirit in the moment. When I most need to feel God’s will, and know in my heart that I am loved by Him - depression clouds my ability to perceive that comfort.

So I continue stumbling forward (and I admit, sometimes a bit sideways) on life’s path...
  • able to see the past
  • darkness obscuring the future
  • alone in the present
  • not really alone, but numb

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your courage in sharing your thoughts! You've been a blessing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariane - just as I was beginning to wonder if anyone even read my blog anymore, you offered to me the priceless gift and blessing of your beautiful comment. *Thank YOU* for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Messy Musings, your writing and thoughts are beautiful. I've been in your shoes and know how you feel. I HATE depression. I HATE IT with my very being. Most of all I hate it because I see and can feel what it does to others. It zaps goodness out and, indeed, makes it VERY hard to feel the Spirit. It wasn't that long ago that I LONGED to "feel" something again.

    I'll be keeping an eye on you, sending prayers Heavenward for you, and hoping for the best.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey...I wanted to share this link on my blog MMUB with you. It is definitely something to look into for those of us with chronic/reoccurring depression. It has made all the difference for me and I cant help but share it with others.

    http://melaniesmethodicalmusings.blogspot.com/p/mthfr.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we've never personally met, but I woke up this morning thinking about you. I hope everything is okay. Oh how I wish that I could just take the aching of depression away. Unfortunately I can't do that, but I can offer to you my thoughts and prayers. Sometimes just knowing that someone cares helps me to continue to put one foot in front of the other and to keep pressing forward. So, I hope you know that I care. Your words of encouragement have helped me on many occasions and have been a blessing in my life. You are a wonderful lady and you have the ability to bless the lives of many around you.

    ReplyDelete