Mary, Mary, quite contrary

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?


I don't know how Mary's garden is growing - but mine is coming along (now that three weeks of rain has ended, and I can actually work in the yard). On Monday I planted all sorts of bloomin' things in my little flower garden. No, there are no silver bells and cockle shells - instead I planted a geranium, some zinnias, salvia, alyssum, and a few marigolds.

The marigolds were planted in honor of my Grandpa. He was the dearest and sweetest man you would ever meet. Sadly he was also color blind - and yellow was pretty much the only color he could see in its full splendor. I remember how he would plant loads of marigolds along both sides of the walkway leading from the ditch (that ran alongside the road) all the way up to the house. He planted so many in fact that they would soon overwhelm and completely cover the walkway. Grandpa didn't care about that - he just enjoyed the beauty of the flowers.

When my flowers mature a bit, I will take photos and post them here on my blog. Until then - you'll need to use your imagination (which might actually be better than my sad little flower patch).

3 comments:

  1. Ah the lovely signs of spring. The Marigolds (sniffle), roses (sniff), lavender (hear it comes), and lilac (AAAACHOOOO)! Come to thing about it, I think I'll do some of my favorit form of exericise, oreo hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my mom planting those flowers too. I always thought they would smell pretty, but they didn't. At the end of the season, my mom would go back through and have us help her collect the seeds. I still remember asking her "why?" Why would she want to save those sad smelling flowers? But they do keep away the bugs I hear, and they are pretty in a yellowish sort of way.

    My mom also liked to plant cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our vegetable garden is lovely, but I'm mad at the rest of the yard....I won't bore you with the details.

    ReplyDelete