Perspectives

The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
~Henry David Thoreau
____________________________________________

I know, I know... why do do my blog postings not stray very far away from the topic of living with depression? Because it is an every-day reality of my life, and perhaps also for yours (or someone you know and love). Today's topic is all about "perspectives" (hence the title of this post... I'm just so creative). Take a close look at this photo...


  • What do you see? 
  • Does the image make sense to you at all? 
  • From what direction or "perspective" was the photo taken? 
  • The photo is attempting to tell a story, but what is it? 
  • Are you at all enlightened by its message?
The story of this photo is not easily understood, even by one who may live there. A beginning or ending point really is not found in the image. Could this have come from one of my underwater scuba diving adventures? Perhaps using your imagination, you can perceive some hidden sea life? There!!... did you see it?


Now take a look at this photo. Can you see the image of the previous photo anywhere in here? Yes, it is there... keep looking! I'll make it easy for you... it is an upside-down cut-out view of a portion of the large rock in the left foreground of the larger photo. That's exactly where your eyes and mind focused on and you immediately saw it, correct?

I show this to illustrate how the perspective of someone dealing with depression can be limited, absolutely overwhelming, and skewed. It is as if blinders have been put on, where only small portions of the world can be seen at any given moment. But since all is continuously spinning - much of the time out of control - what one may see as correct is actually upside down. And certainly does not contain the beauty and view of the entire scene. Life often appears as an immense obstacle which completely fills your view.

This limited "perspective" can be true for not only those living with depression... but for anyone who focuses so intently and entirely on a single portion of life. The grandeur of the whole cannot be seen, nor is it believed to even exist.

Life perspectives can improve... not overnight, not immediately, not without effort and a willingness to accept change. Taking time to write things down where they can be seen clearly has helped me (this blog being of great worth in that respect!!). No, I am not yet able to take in the entire beauty of the view offered. But the view is slowly expanding, and at least now I believe it to exist!
____________________________________________

Now on to other less dramatic, but important things...

In my last post, I promised to provide information about my recent Lasik surgery (aka: lasers directed at the eyeballs to improve vision). Which I find to be somewhat funny... if you look at any laser pointer (used for business, hunting, or taunting your pets making them chase a red dot) - they all say something like - "do not look directly into the laser" because it could cause eye damage. Huh?... so why don't we get very large machines, charge copious amounts of money, and tell people that their vision can be improved... by pointing lasers at their eyes!!

Let's just say that I highly recommend taking the Valium pill offered in the pre-surgery part. Nothing like things coming at your eyes to make one get all tense... but with the help of legal pharmaceuticals, that anxiety can be totally handled! I was also given a DVD recording of the whole procedure... haven't watched it yet. Am a bit unsure if I want to or not... at least not watching it alone!!

I still see the world in a somewhat skewed manner (what else is new?). Thanks to the old age need for bifocals (which I absolutely hated and was the impetus for surgery) - I now have what is technically called: "mono-vision"!!

Meaning that one eye (my right) is for seeing things close-up - like reading, computer, talking to friends. The other eye (my left) is for seeing things in the distance - like for driving. It is going to take some time for my brain to adjust to this change... but hopefully it should be used to changes in perspective.

Am already totally loving not wearing glasses (well, except for really cool sunglasses when driving). Only now I have nothing with which to hide the eye wrinkles, dark circles, and bags. Sigh... guess nothing in life is perfect - LOL!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the ideas on perspective. So true. So so true.

    As for the surgery....that is awesome. I've never had to wear glasses...so I don't fully understand the annoyance of them, but I can imagine. (Too bad I can't get the surgery for my 8 year old...he destroys his glasses).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the perspective analogy. What a great way to describe reactions to many things in life. And the picture is stunning! As for your surgery, I thought that was pretty funny about charging a bunch of money to point a giant laser at their eyes. That is so much your humor. Love it!

    ReplyDelete