Dieting

I have started this great new diet - guaranteed to provide a gain (amount yet to be determined) - but the promises are sure and hopefully will be large!! I'm so excited to see an increase - that I just had to share the news with all my friends!! Aren't gains what all diets are about? Well, with this diet I certainly hope so!! You see, I am starting a "money diet".

For the next few months, every single potential purchase (even for something as small as 50 cents) must first be weighed on the harsh scales of needs versus wants. Until then I will be wearing the ear muffs of need to counteract the singing sirens voices of want.
  • Yes I acknowledge this poorly formed metaphor is a blatant (but slightly altered) theft from the epic Greek mythological legend of Odysseus, and his encounter with the Sirens. But I much prefer an ear muff over stuffing ears with beeswax - plus I do not wish to be enticed by the sirens song while tied to a ship's mast.
    But I digress...
You see, my latest home improvement venture of rebuilding of the back porch (photos coming soon - I promise) is going to cost me almost double what I had originally estimated and planned for.

So in order to salvage my sanity and renew financial resources - I must commit myself. No, not to an insane asylum (though some friends might be of mixed opinion on that) - but I must be committed to diligently conserve income resources. To that end I shall endeavor to follow these guidelines:
  • If I can honestly survive without it for at least 2 to 4 weeks - then it is not really a need.
  • Only basic purchases at the grocery store are allowed (no indulgent extras) - and coupon usage is highly encouraged.
  • No purchases of new shoes or clothes - if I can continue to modestly wear something from my closet, then I don't need to buy anything new right now (no matter how cute it is).
  • Reading, television (and blogging of course) are on the approved entertainment activity list.
  • So-called "emergency expenditures" will be carefully evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
  • A re-evaluation of finances will occur just prior to Thanksgiving. If monetary funds are still lacking, then the "money diet" will continue. Additional financial evaluations will then occur on a monthly basis until further notice.
I have successfully completed a "money diet" before - living off of food storage items and creativity. It is not glamorous, and can sometimes have a degree of pain and small amounts of suffering associated with it. However, fortified with divine help from above, experience, and a semblance of confidence -- I shall go forth, persevere, and achieve necessary current financial goals!!

Sigh... time to dig out the wheat grinder and get back to baking my own bread (which is fabulous by the way!!).

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I think most people gain when they go on a diet and at least you're doing it the best way! Good luck with your wheat grinder! I don't have a wheat grinder...which is okay because I don't have wheat either. ;o)

    ReplyDelete