Under construction

It's been a few weeks since I've written anything here... sorry 'bout that, but I have a really good excuse (I promise!!). This past year has been a time for my mind, body and spirit to be "under construction". Realizing that physical surroundings can have an effect (good or bad) - it became clear that some construction was needed for my home.

Basically it boiled down to the fact that I need to have more light in my home. The decor choices of my parents was soooo them, but really not me. Here is what the living room used to look like...

Wood paneling & wood burning stove.

Most light was promptly swallowed by all the brown colors.
So the remodel adventure began on January 3, 2011. It's not over yet... but the end is getting closer! First step was to move all the furniture out of the room (not an easy task). Then it was demolition time... now that was kinda fun in a way!

Stove now in the basement, built-in bookcase temporarily relocated.
But most important - the paneling is GONE!
(along with the sheet rock it was glued to)
New sheet rock was put in place!
Bad news: I added quite a bit to the project... the hallway, my bedroom, 7 new doors & 2 new windows.
Good news: my bedroom never had paneling on the walls (much easier to deal with).
Bad news: now where am I going to sleep during construction?
Good news: my parents made the kitchen large enough to do double duty!!

Yeah, that's my queen size bed... in the kitchen!!
At this point in time there is paint primer on the walls, and all new trim and moldings around doors / windows. I am currently in the process of caulking everything in preparation for color to go on the walls - then the carpet can be laid - then I can move furniture back into the proper rooms (especially my bed!). Finally there comes what could be the worst part of the entire project... total cleaning of everything in all rooms, because of all that sheet rock and wood cutting dust that's everywhere!

When will I have time to post something here again... who knows. Guess it all depends on how long I want to sleep in the kitchen!

A big THANK YOU goes out to my wonderful neighbors and friends - who have generously donated their time and skills to this project. Without them, none of this could have been accomplished!!

1 comment:

  1. Bed in the kitchen? That wouldn't be such bad thing, especially if you get a craving in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete