Time

With each passing moment it is creeping ever closer - heavy footsteps of its approach echo relentlessly in the hallways of my mind. The "it" I am referring to is the dreaded spring daylight savings time change (which is always much worse than the one in the fall). Worse because it causes me to lose an entire hour of precious sleep (what could be worse than that?). Yes, I could just go to bed an hour earlier (pretending that the time change has already happened). But I think going to bed early like that must be against my religion. I am trying to find supporting mention of this belief in the scriptures - I'm sure it must be in there!! All I need is to be more diligent in reading from them every day, and I shall soon discover words of support.

I do admit that there are a few positive things that this yearly time change event heralds - the fast approaching gifts of spring. I think that I mentioned in a previous posting that spring is one of my four favorite seasons. It is spring that brings with it a total renewal of life, finally awakening from the slumbers of winter's chill. How I anxiously await the tiny leaf and flower buds bursting forth everywhere you look. Sunshine is warmer, and remains longer in the sky as the days slowly extend the blessed hours of light to the northern hemisphere.

When I think of spring, I think of newborn baby animals (puppy's being among my most favorite). I think of plowing and planting crops in the freshly turned earth (corn on the cob to mention one) - crops to be feasted upon in the upcoming months. I think of wildflowers stretching their flowered heads towards the sky - and bees busily humming as they eagerly harvest the pollen nectar. I can hear birds singing their songs of nest building, and laying eggs in every assorted color - from which will burst forth some of God's beautiful creatures. Butterflies are emerging from their cocoons - spreading their colorful wings to fly past - while I stare in shear wonderment at their grace and beauty.

Okay, perhaps the approach of daylight saving change isn't as bad as I may think. After all, it is one of the hallmarks announcing the coming of spring!

2 comments:

  1. Although I don't really appreciate how quickly time flies by, I am looking forward to Spring. We're already talking about what we want to plant this year. And won't it be exciting to see what actually survives my "gardening skills"?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, daylight savings . . . I am willing to pay an hour of sleep for Spring. In fact if I could, I would give up two hours if Spring would just hurry up and come!

    ReplyDelete