Sisters

It is always nice to be invited into the home of those with large and loving families. My definition of a "large family" is one with three or more children. I grew up with only one brother - but he and I from day one were never close in any sense of the word. He left home when I was about age 14 – but long before that (due to choices he made to separate himself from the family unit)... I often thought of myself as an only child in many respects.

I have often experienced the green-eyed monster I call "envy" of those who have sisters (I always wanted a sister). Growing up I loved the chaos and noise found in the homes of those with multiple siblings. Don't get me wrong - I was most fortunate to grow up in a home that was a fairly quiet and peaceful place in which one could totally unwind from the cares of the day. My parents worked hard at creating this environment of peace. In fact as a kid, some friends with large families who came over to "play" would sit down and actually fall asleep.

Now that both of my parents have passed away and I am alone, my home is even more quiet and peaceful - which I truly enjoy. I love being at home. However I have to express the thought that it is nice to get out and interact with others in a family gathering. I don’t usually understand the long-standing family inside jokes - but the shared laughter is always a bright spot.

One could say that I do have some "sisters" - they take the shape of neighbors and close friends. But as much as I love and deeply care for them - for some reason it doesn’t seem to be exactly quite the same as having a life-long connection with another person that is filled with shared experiences. Perhaps I am trying to elevate the whole concept of having a blood sister into something that it is not in real life. But to those of you who do have sisters, I say... cherish them on whatever level you are able to.

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to sell my sister for 42 years. Almost had a deal with some kids in the first grade, but my mom nixed the deal.

    I'll trade her to you for a penny! She comes fully loaded with built-in nieces. Well I'll have to keep the nieces. They are pretty cool. Okay, I'll share the nieces.

    But what a Bargain! A Sister for a penny and my mom won't know about it until it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can do that, I just need to work on my levels of cherishing :) And yes, SISTER Thompson you have sisters.

    ReplyDelete