Dreaming

I grew up in the era of television shows like Bewitched, and I Dream of Jeanie (of the two, Bewitched was my favorite of course. Samantha had a few more brain cells than Jeanie ever did). In my mind, how exciting it would be to possess magical powers. Chores and homework would be a thing of the past! But try as I might, no amount of nose twitching or eye blinking could produce any semblance of magic (much to my youthful dismay).

As I grew older, my fantasies took a more technological turn - which seemed to be somewhat more realistic in nature. Perhaps I could become better, stronger, faster... yup I envisioned being the next Bionic Woman! After that came dreams of transporters and replicators from Star Trek (actually I still dream about those two items sometimes).

I suppose you could say that when I was growing up, I wasn't satisfied with my plodding little life - with the grass certainly greener on the other side of the fence (well, on the other side of the television screen).

In reality, true magic comes from developing relationships with others - not from blinking or twitching. Perhaps someday there will be bionics or transporters as viewed on television. Until then and after that time, there is the wondrous journey from here to there and back again with friends and family to provide much needed love and support. Can't get that from a machine!

Dreams are important. It is the dream of accomplishing something that can inspire me to achieve what was thought to be impossible. Goals are not completed in the blink of an eye, or twitch of a nose. It is the journey - with all the tiring efforts, failures and skinned knees along the way - that provide a fulfillment of dreams. Even fulfilling dreams I never before considered, and now cannot envision living without.

1 comment:

  1. I watched the reruns of those shows in the summer time and wished so bad that I could have those magical powers too! Sometimes I still do! But you're right- fulfilling dreams is a much more meaningful way to live life!

    ReplyDelete