Memories (part four) - the living room

The living room was the largest single room in the whole apartment - which isn’t saying much. It was there we had a chest freezer, which took up one entire corner of the room. A turquoise colored used sofa, a green Lazy-boy rocker/recliner (which Mom insisted on buying new when I was born). It was Mom’s dream to be able to sit and rock her baby to sleep - and uncooperative as I was I did not make that an easy nor pleasant task. Apparently I didn’t like to be held and rocked much as a baby. What I wouldn’t give now to be enfolded in the security of Mom’s loving arms and just held, let alone rocked.

Taking up the last of the space in the living room was Mom’s sewing machine cabinet. This was an investment purchase made shortly after their marriage when Mom informed Dad that she needed a new dress. He kindly asked her if she could sew - because that would be the only way financially for her to obtain a new dress. At that time it was an economical means for obtaining clothing - whereas today we can purchase clothing on sale for less than the same garment can be sewed. So Mom learned how to sew - and made many clothes that our family wore for many years - but she mostly sewed her own clothes.

For years I remember Mom making matching shirts for us all to wear during the summer months when we went somewhere as a family. Lovingly and nicely sewn as the shirts were, please remember that much of my childhood took place in the 1970’s - which was a time not known for the best fabric colors or designs. But we never got lost in a crowd.

I believe it was the last summer we were living in that small apartment, Mom made chekered shirts for us, but mine also had a matching sun bonnet (of sorts). I felt like a pioneer in my little outfit - and insisted on wearing it as often as possible that year.

(Me and my little doll)

2 comments:

  1. Ha, we also wore matching things and it's true we never got lost in a crowd either! Do you still have any of your clothes from way back when?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one shirt made in the 1970's - you'd have to see the print to believe the hideousness of it. That's probably why I saved it ;-)

    ReplyDelete