Patience Grasshopper

Master Po
Certain television shows and dialog phrases from my childhood still crop up in memory from time to time. In my mind, one such line was spoken by Master Po to the young student, Kwai Chang Kaine in the television series, Kung Fu... "Patience, Grasshopper."

Those same words have echoed in my mind for the past few days now, with an emphasis on the word "Patience". The virtue of patience is much needed in my life right now, as body energy reserves have been drained in a fight to overcome an infection.

Patience is also often required when confronted with other illnesses, like depression. Discouragement comes from wanting something specific without waiting. I want to be healed from this infection and from depression - and I want it now!! Placing our own desires on hold for any length of time is not pleasant, it requires that rare commodity... patience. I turn now to words of wisdom spoken a few years ago by one of the greatest men I have ever had an opportunity to meet...
Patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!

... Often the deep valleys of our present will be understood only by looking back on them from the mountains of our future experience. Often we can’t see the Lord’s hand in our lives until long after trials have passed. Often the most difficult times of our lives are essential building blocks that form the foundation of our character and pave the way to future opportunity, understanding, and happiness. (~Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Continue in Patience, May 2010)
There is a lesson to be learned from life... a foundation is being laid to hold a structure. One that my mortal vision cannot see clearly during this building phase - but it is a magnificent structure that the Master Planner has designed specifically for me.

All I need right now is... "Patience, Grasshopper".

5 comments:

  1. Never saw the show but I understand it's message.

    Mine is "wax on, wax off" now what could that mean.

    I HOPE that your patience pays off soon. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not very good with the patience thing. If I don't get stuff or take care of it right away, I just forget...
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this patience you speak of?

    Veruca Salt is my hero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patience is not a virtue of mine, I'm afraid. But it's a worthy virtue to pursue, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been studying the word, "patience" from the scriptures for almost a week now. I have made many lists in my journal about what patience is and what it is not. Suffice it to say, patience takes trust. It means trusting that the Lord has the best timing for you, no matter what you currently think on the matter.

    ReplyDelete