Staying within the lines

Color!! (ain't it purty?)
I color within the lines
living by the rules
doing what I have to do
doing what I must do
it is who I am
     ~ Messy Musings



Even as a child with coloring book and crayons in hand, I was compelled to color within the lines. Not using just any color in the box... it had to be the “correct” color! The sky was never purple or green - always blue. The sun was never pink - always golden, and the grass always green. Other crayons were carefully selected and color coordinated - no clashing colors next to each other allowed! It was an idyllic world in my coloring book where I had absolute control.

The last couple of weeks have been less than idyllic, and far from controlled. I was once again caught in the seemingly never ending mists of depression. And then this past Monday... surprise!! There was once again color and light in the world!!

Yesterday I met with my wonderful counselor, where we talked about what I did to pull out of the colorless world of depression. For some reason I seem to possess certain instincts which have been learned and developed over a period of many years. Actions that are innately known to help shield, protect, or literally step away from the precipice. Simply put, without these learned behaviors I would not be alive today and writing this blog.

It is a fact that many times exercise and physical movement can help with depression. I mentioned to my counselor that I started riding my bike again last week.
     Why?
Because I was tired of walking, was my response.
     But how did I manage to get myself out of the house and on the bike?
I dunno, because I had to.

Please don’t think I am anything more than I am. Getting out and moving was sincerely not an immediate response on my part... it did take me a number of depression wallowing days to get to that point (along with timely sound wisdom from a dear friend - thanks Mel, I love you)!!

Why do I call myself a “semi-functional depressive”? Honestly I often function merely because I have to... there are no other options. The degree and level of functioning varies differently from day to day - hearkening back to the age-old debate of needs versus wants. When struggling with depression I may “want” to shut myself up separate and alone in a darkened house - but "need" to push myself to leave that confine and associate with others (even if it is only done virtually online through email or this blog). Every little bit can help, if I allow it into my life.

5 comments:

  1. I want to go for a bike ride again :-( . Tell me we can go when the doc lets me rejoin the human race. I read about your post the other day and I will admit I was jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't believe everything you read on facebook!! I seriously did not ride the bike very far - but at least I did it!! let me know when the doc gives you the green light.

      Delete
  2. Glad the color is back! I think it has helped me with my depression and OCD to believe that I "had" to do things, that I didn't have a choice. That gets me out of a rut sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina... glad to know I'm not the only one who has set some rules about things that "have" to be done, no choice about it!

      Delete
  3. I love you too "Messy". And I don't remember which advice it was that I gave you but I'm glad regardless.

    I often thank the Lord for my drive to move on. It would be VERY easy to let my depression take over but I just CANT. What would my life turn into? What would become of my children...let alone my HOUSE...if I were to stay in bed all day wallowing in despair. That's what you need to hold onto. Your ability to PULL YOURSELF OUT if the deep dark muck. It doesn't really matter just how many times you fall in, only that you are never going to give up climbing. :)

    Since the first day I heard Kelly Clarkson's "(What Doesn't Kill You Makes You) Stronger" song a few months ago, I've always thought of you. One of the first lines says, "you know I dream in color..." (I remember our discussions about life in the blurry gray). If you haven't heard it...search it on YouTube. It's awesome.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete