Thoughts

I thought I thought a thought,
but the thought I thought
wasn't the thought I thought I thought.
So I thought a new thought.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly!!

Changing thought patterns is an important part of distancing oneself from depression. Distorted interpretations of thoughts lead to feelings which impact behaviors. Negative or inaccurate thinking contributes to an increase or deepening of depression.

How is it possible to recognize, and then challenge, erroneous thoughts? It is done through a process that I really dislike!! I have always considered introspection, self-observation, or inter-relationship focus... (aka: digging into the why behind thoughts and actions)... as being icky and overly "touchy feely". My style has always been centered around facts, or even opinions - the more logical the better!

That almost sounds like I must have some Vulcan ancestry (a la Star Trek and Mr. Spock)... which thought actually makes me giggle. Since emotion is not a trait of being Vulcan... sigh, I suppose not (she said with sadness).

So what is this "touchy feely" process? One name for it is, cognitive behavioral therapy, which can help if allowed to that is. It is all about developing a more realistic interpretation of your own thoughts, and recognize the serious distortions that depression can bring. Just one example... I knew what other people thought about me, simply by looking at them. I was projecting onto them my own negative thoughts about myself, and creating a lot of un-necessary anxiety. This in turn can lead to even deeper depression.

Basically it is a process of identifying situations or conditions in your life that trigger anxiety or depression. Becoming aware of these will assist in acknowledging false thoughts, emotions or beliefs. Once inaccurate and negative thinking is identified - it becomes easier to then challenge and change.

And of course all of this is easier said than done - especially if you are logic centric - and don't have a competent therapist offering guidance to get through all the "touchy feely" stuff. On this point I have been blessed, but still feel very inadequate to fully cope.

Grandpa?





Live long and prosper! 

1 comment:

  1. I see no family resemblance....you are much to cute to be offspring of his offspring.

    This is one area where we are quite opposite. I have always, from a very VERY young age, spent a lot of time figuring out the "why's" of things. That's what makes me tick...what makes life easier to live through. If I know "why" I do things, than I have a better idea of how to change myself. To me it then becomes FACT and I can change it. Am I making ANY SENSE?!?!

    Anyhow. I'm glad you have a good therapist. I, for one, have LOVED mine. They have suited me well for my needs at the time.

    Until next time....live long and prosper.

    ReplyDelete