Blog rut

Someone once said... the only difference between a rut and a grave are their dimensions. According to dictionary.com, being in a rut is defined as:
  1. a fixed or established mode of procedure or course of life, usually dull or unpromising
  2. a narrow or predictable way of life, set of attitudes, etc; dreary or undeviating routine
Ruts are not really made for being creative. Don't believe me? Hey, just take a look at this blog as an example of being "unusually dull" and "dreary"... YES, I am in a BLOG RUT!! You see before you a basic pre-packaged blogspot template (soooo underwhelming and - I admit boring - even if green is my favorite color!!).

Most of my posts are merely words... very carefully thought out words which have gone through countless re-writes (both before, and sometimes even after posting)... normally with a "borrowed" internet photo (predictably in the same place - upper right corner). It has to be perfect - spelling, wording, spacing... I really must enjoy the tediousness of organizing on some level.

I read other's blogs, and am constantly amazed at the creativity out there! Great backgrounds - fun blog post content and layouts - also with interesting blog pages / profiles telling me more about themselves (providing much laughter with their delightful sense of humor!!). I really do admire (and yes... envy) other's abilities to color outside the lines in beautiful and unpredictable ways!!

Meanwhile I seem to repeat the same things over and over again - mostly due to my admitted limited artistic abilities (my school art teachers will confirm this very honest observation). Let's just say that I tend to do things in a very predictable and ordered manner - always working hard at staying within the lines.

Probably one reason why I used to do a lot of cross-stitch (before carpal tunnel smacked me). Cross stitch is an orderly manner of putting another person's design onto perfectly weaved cross-stitch cloth - just squares, colored floss and a detailed pattern to follow. And of course, I always made sure the backside of the cross-stitch was "almost" as perfect as the front. Again, you don't believe me? Why do you have doubts?

Okay, I am breaking with my standard blog protocol here... and posting personal, just taken photos of my last cross-stitch project (the friend's "baby" I was making this for I think has graduated high school by now) - and look at me!! I am not placing the photos in the upper right corner!! Woohoo - I'm getting creative??!!

Front view
Back view

Front close-up
Back close-up


Do you believe me now? I have come to know that my organized, predictable, slavish attention to details trait curse that I possess - is a huge obstacle in overcoming certain things. It makes it very difficult to make and accept changes in perceptions - because my mind has already ordered, categorized and filed them away in the cabinet of beliefs.

The whole process of picking out the stitches leading to depression, and re-doing the work is painful and time consuming. However, I must believe and have HOPE that in the end it will be worth it - and that one day I shall look at the cloth and wonder how something could have become so wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. only took me over 2-hours to get this written. now you know why I don't post things more often... not enough time in the day, week, month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister. I'm always telling my husband, "This took me 1 hour to write and 8 to edit." I seriously hate it.

    But, really, there is NOTHING wrong with being orderly and organized and having such a knack for detail. The Lord uses all of our talents for good.

    You may not have a "flashy" blog but your words are real...and inspiring...and true. And that is what matter. All that other "fluff" is just that..."FLUFF".

    You are great...and I like you. So...please don't go changing for me (or anyone else, for that matter).

    Love,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, because lately I have been wondering, why can't I be more organized, methodical and thorough? Why is it so hard for me to organize and follow through on things? So, I guess we should be glad for our strengths, and our weaknesses.
    Pres. Uchtdorf's talk "Forget me Not" really struck me at that R.S. meeting. he said-
    "Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

    It’s wonderful that you have strengths.

    And it is part of your mortal experience that you do have weaknesses.

    God wants to help us to eventually turn all of our weaknesses into strengths,1 but He knows that this is a long-term goal. He wants us to become perfect,2 and if we stay on the path of discipleship, one day we will. It’s OK that you’re not quite there yet. Keep working on it, but stop punishing yourself.
    ...Please remember also to be compassionate and patient with yourself."
    I loved hearing that, it's a great talk to go back and read when I need encouragement!

    ReplyDelete