Memories (part six) - church




At one point I was as familiar with Temple Square as I was my own home and yard. We would walk around those beautiful grounds a number of times every week. After all we only lived a block away in those early years.

I loved going up the long curved ramp to view the huge Christus statue in the North Visitor’s Center Rotunda. Static would build up from walking on that carpeted ramp – and what fun it was to then stealthily sneak up on my brother, or Mom, and watch them jump when touched. I remember being awestruck by the enormity of the statue, and the beautiful depiction of the cosmos on the background walls. I am still awestruck by this very special place – and need to make a goal to visit Temple Square more often than just at Christmas time.

One of my most favorite things to do at Temple Square was to watch the movie, Man’s Search for Happiness. I loved watching this movie, and even now forty plus years later remember most of the movie, almost as if I had just viewed it the other day. Among such scenes I can still hear and see the multitude of clocks ticking away – and hear the narrator’s voice-over talking about time. In my mind I can see the young family standing in falling snow at the graveside of their beloved grandfather – who was passing through the veil and being greeted by a multitude of loved ones.

Another loved but slightly more intense movie was, Christ in America. There was a point in that presentation where loud thunder type sounds and flashing lights were followed by the theater being plunged into total darkness. Then a deep voice quoted a passage from the Book of Mormon, announcing the resurrected Savior. And the scariness was soon over when lights came back on - and the screen had disappeared - replaced by the wonder of seeing a life-size three dimensional portrayal of Christ visiting the Nephites after his resurrection. I really liked that part best of all - and so would endure the terror before it so that I might gaze in awe at such a miraculous event. I always wanted to run forward towards the Christ figure, with the faint thought that He might possibly be real - but was too shy to really consider such an act.

We attended church meetings every Sunday in the old 17th ward building (located at 142 West 200 North in Salt Lake). In the chapel, which is still there, is a beautiful stained glass depiction of Joseph Smith’s first vision. I can remember sitting in church staring at that scene for what seemed like the longest time every Sunday. Such vivid memories of this window have remained with me - and even now I can clearly recall the smallest details of that stained glass window.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to be in that church building once again - and took the time to walk into the chapel. It was exactly the way I remembered it in every detail. I’m sure that being able to look at such beauty during Sunday meetings was what helped make me the most quiet, and well behaved, toddler in the history of Mormon church meetings (wink wink).

2 comments:

  1. I recently watched a documentary on the Christus statue. Apparently there is a church in Denmark that has a Christus and all the apostles from Christ's time- which the brethern saw and then decided to get one comissioned orignially for the Visitor's Center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't take my girls there nearly enough. I always intend to, but it never happens. **sigh**

    ReplyDelete