Dichotomy of stress

An interesting dichotomy occurs in my life when it comes to how I deal with stress. Okay, maybe it's only me (then again, maybe not)... but often when confronted by stressful situations and thoughts, I find myself maintaining mutually exclusive methods of either coping or shutting down. There doesn't seem to be an in-between middle ground or overlapping of the two... picture a WWI era "no man's land" separating the two trenches of defense.

There are days when I can work through the process and face the stress from external or internal sources. And then are the other days when I can't even face myself in the mirror, let alone look at a seemingly overwhelming life situation. Guess this hearkens back to the basic automatic "fight or flight" response... only for me it's a "just deal with it" or "fetal position curl-up and hide" response.

I find a need for to once again revisit processes previously learned (utilizing such things as mindfulness and being in the now) - to reduce or eliminate the negative impact of stress on body, mind and spirit - and especially the negative impact on overall health.

The goal is to focus on just one small portion at a time - don't bite off more than I can chew! This video is an impetus behind my first step - because it has helped me better recognize what is needed. Also I love watching the drawing (even if it totally shames my complete lack of artistic talent)!!

2 comments:

  1. To quote the little bat (I forget his name) on Anastasia, "Stress....it's a killer."

    Sigh. I'm sorry you are feeling so stressed right now. I, too have the same reactions. I actually think it's very normal.

    Tomorrow is a new day. Sleep it off and try and re-evaluate it tomorrow.

    Love Ya!

    Call me if ever you need to/or just want to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend not to handle stress very well either. I'm similar to you--I "handle it" or I just shut down and avoid the situation. I wish I could deal better with it. I'm working on it.

    ReplyDelete